Caring for Your House

Garden Fences and Gates

Although garden fences and gates typically sit outside the boundaries of the listed site for your house, their design, materials and maintenance affect the character of the Conservation Area and as such are managed features.

Under planning policy, you will need to apply for planning permission if you want to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and it will be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere. The access roads behind most village houses are considered to be highways. You will also need to apply for permission if any fence you wish to erect is connected to the listed site, such as the boundary wall for your yard.

However, you will not need to apply for planning permission to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate if you do not increase its height.

For more information, please see the Garden Fences and Gates Information Sheet.